Symantec unveils a new version of Norton Online Backup
Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC) today unveiled a new version of Norton Online Backup which now supports both Windows and Mac on up to five computers, conveniently linked together through the same central account. The updated version gives consumers the ability to share documents with others, to transfer files between any of their computers, and to retrieve backed up files at anytime from any Web connection, including up to 90 days of file revisions. The Norton Online Backup service is available worldwide in 24 languages.
Norton Online Backup simplifies sharing large files with friends and colleagues, or transferring data between household computers. Through just their Web browser, users can select and share any of the files they have backed up by generating unique download links that can be emailed to any address. Especially useful after a new computer purchase, enhanced file migration assists users with the easy transfer of files between household computers. Now, files are easily transferred remotely among any of the computers in the same Norton Online Backup account.
“Norton is a brand that consumers trust to keep them secure and protected. Now consumers can turn to Norton to back up their priceless photos and music collections,” said David Hall, regional consumer product marketing manager, Symantec, Asia Pacific. “With the combination of our brand, worldwide reach, and these latest technical improvements, we intend to bring online backup to consumers in a major way.”
Millions of consumers already use the Norton backup service as part of Norton 360. In addition, Norton has partnered with 5 of the top 6 OEMs worldwide to provide online backup services. Symantec is the world’s largest and most experienced provider of online backup services, professionally managing over 40 petabytes of secured and encrypted data for more than ten million users in multiple data centers.
“What makes Norton Online Backup stand out from other online backup providers is its ease of use. When you log into your account, backing up and restoring is simple, intuitive, and takes just a few clicks,” said Karla Aycock, Norton Online Backup customer. “More importantly, I know I’m leaving my irreplaceable files in the hands of a brand that I trust.”
Norton Online Backup version 2.0 New Features:
· Cross-platform functionality for Windows and Mac computers supports Microsoft XP, Vista, Windows 7 and Mac OS X (including Mac OS X 10.6, “Snow Leopard”);
· Users can email any backed-up file via download links sent through the redesigned Web dashboard;
· 90-day file versioning saves previous versions of backed-up files for up to 90-days, so older versions can be easily retrieved;
· Advanced search allows users to search for backed-up files by name, date, size and/or type of file;
· Open file backup stores the most current file, even if it’s open (especially important for email files);
· File purge and storage management makes it easy for users to remove previously backed-up files in order to clear up available storage space;
· Additional new features include improvements to file migration, the automatic initial setup, user settings and a more intuitive redesign of the user interface.
Pricing and Availability
Norton Online Backup version 2.0 is now available for purchase in India through select retail outlets and the Symantec online store at www.symantecstore.com. The new version of Norton Online Backup will be updated automatically for current subscribers within the coming weeks.
The suggested retail price for Norton Online Backup is Rs 2,099.99 per year, which includes 25 gigabytes (GB) of online storage to backup files from up to five computers. Additional storage space can be purchased incrementally at any time.