Unity 2.5 – leading 3D games tool now available for Windows Vista and XP
Unity Technologies, provider of the revolutionary Unity development platform which enables console-quality games for the Web, iPhone and Nintendo® Wii, announced the availability of Unity 2.5 for Windows. Now Unity 2.5 can be used for development under Windows Vista, XP and 2000 with 100% feature parity and interoperability with Mac OS X.
The Unity 2.5 development tool has been rebuilt to look, feel and function identically on both operating systems, each running the same underlying engine. Unity on either platform can build games for either platform - cross-platform development in the truest sense.
David Helgason, CEO of Unity Technologies said, “Starting today, Windows users can finally get their hands on our tech which has been used to create dozens of hit games and is being used by thousands of developers on the Mac. We have huge expectations of how far we and our community can go.”
Unity 2.5 includes:
• Even easier-to-use tools allowing rapid play, test and improvement of work
• A tabbed interface
• Precise navigation and placement of tools - new flythrough controls
• Information at a glance - detailed rendering stats of meshes; waveforms of audio clips; model file previews and much more
• Drag and drop 3ds Max support in addition to existing support for Maya, Blender and all other 3D apps
• Completely extensible toolset
The Unity tools have been hailed as revolutionary for democratizing game development in being used by big players like EA®, Cartoon Network, and Funcom, as well as thousands of indie developers, startups, hobbyists and students. Hundreds of commercial games have been developed with Unity, and more are launched every day.