HP unveils new innovations at Consumer Electronics Show
Building on its success of creating products with exceptional innovation and design, HP today unveiled a broad portfolio of consumer and business products designed to provide an unsurpassed customer experience.
Announced just ahead of the opening of CES 2009, the world’s largest annual tradeshow for consumer technology, the new HP lineup includes thin and light consumer notebooks, a high-performance desktop, a durable business mini PC, colorful accessories and a photo printing application for the Apple iPhone.
HP additionally announced a contest for CES attendees. Highlights of the announcements include:
• Two new entertainment notebooks, the HP Pavilion dv2 and dv3 Series Entertainment Notebook PCs, redefine the concept of thin and light while still delivering full notebook capabilities.
• The HP Firebird with Voodoo DNA is a high-performance desktop PC delivering luxury in an energy-efficient design.
• The HP Mini 2140 Notebook PC, the newest member of the company’s Mini portfolio, is designed for on-the-go professionals.
• HP iPrint Photo is the first, free photo printing application of its kind(1) for the Apple iPhone.
“HP enters the New Year showing its resolve to provide consumers, business people and enterprises market-defining products that are a step ahead of the competition. Our customers receive the highest value, combining top designs, innovative features and simple user experiences,” said Satjiv S. Chahil, senior vice president, Worldwide Marketing, Personal Systems Group, HP. “From our leadership in touch interface technologies to our expanding line of ultra-mobile notebooks and companion PCs to our unmatched high-performance computers including mobile workstations with DreamColor displays, we offer the industry’s broadest line of products aimed at satisfying the wants and demands of our diverse customer segments.”
More information about the new line of HP products is available at https://www.hp.com/personal or in an online press kit at https://www.hp.com/go/ces2009press.
Thin and light notebooks for on-the-go consumers
HP’s updated portfolio of consumer notebook PCs showcases a next-generation multimedia experience and delivers powerful entertainment features in a sleek, ultra-mobile package.
• With its innovative design, the HP Pavilion dv2 is a highly mobile notebook that’s made to travel and priced within the reach of consumers. Measuring less than 1-inch thick and weighing less than 4 pounds,(2) the dv2 provides a full notebook experience with powerful discrete graphics, high-capacity hard drive up to 500 gigabytes (GB),(3) and Blu-ray disc support.
• The HP Pavilion dv3 was designed to support consumers’ on-the-go lifestyle featuring a 13.3-inch diagonal BrightView LED backlit display, extended battery life and lightweight magnesium casing. Weighing 4.35 pounds, the dv3 includes processor and graphics performance that can power any productivity or entertainment application.
• Introduced in 2008, the HP Mini 1000 Mi (Mobile Internet Experience) Edition is now available in the United States. The HP Mini 1000 Mi Edition is a uniquely simple, mobile Internet companion(4) with an HP-developed interface built on Linux that makes it easy to enjoy digital content and social media experience, including videos, photos, music, online video chat and email, anywhere consumers are connected. The HP Mini 1000 Mi Edition includes an Ethernet jack, two USB ports, Wi-Fi(5) and optional Bluetooth® wireless capabilities.
• Also new are two Pavilion notebook PCs with widescreen displays featuring 16:9 aspect ratios and optimized for HD content. The new HP Pavilion dv6 notebook PC has a stunning 16-inch diagonal widescreen display and is the first of its size in the Pavilion family. An updated HP Pavilion dv7 notebook PC offers a 17.3-inch diagonal, 16:9 aspect ratio display and improved graphics processor.
High-performance desktops for ultimate luxury and style
• Successor to the award-winning HP Blackbird 002, the HP Firebird with Voodoo DNA is the newest high-performance PC combining luxurious quality and rich technology innovation in an ultra-quiet, energy-efficient package. The HP Firebird with Voodoo DNA represents a new paradigm for performance computing with features designed for photo and video editing, music creation, gaming, and other demanding tasks. An advanced thermal management system, which includes everything from its factory-sealed liquid cooling system to the energy-efficient components and external power supply, keeps the PC running cool and can keep it quieter at full crank than most gaming PCs do at idle.
• For those who like to customize their PC experience, configure-to-order HP TouchSmart PCs are available with a wide variety of options, including Blu-ray optical drive, processor speed, video card and hard drive size. People can create the exact TouchSmart system to suit their entertainment and computing needs. A major TouchSmart software enhancement includes a DVD module and the introduction of multi-touch gestures.
• New configurations on the Compaq Presario, HP Pavilion, HP Pavilion Slimline and HP Pavilion Elite lines of desktop PCs are designed to fit the needs of every consumer – from entertainment enthusiasts to budget-minded families and students. More information about the new lines is available at HP Direct.
Further details on consumer notebooks and desktops is available in the news release “Striking New HP Consumer PCs Combine Performance, Entertainment and Design“.
Companion PC for mobile professionals
The all new HP Mini 2140 is designed specifically for the mobile professional in need of a rich computing experience in a small and ultra-portable package. With a 10.1-inch diagonal scratch-resistant display, a user-friendly 92 percent of full-size QWERTY keyboard, increased battery life and a range of hard-drive options including an optional high-capacity 80 GB(3) solid-state drive, the all-aluminum cased HP Mini comes with all the features needed to keep on-the-go professionals productive and connected. Powered by the latest Intel® Atom processor, the HP Mini includes wireless technologies as well as an integrated VGA Webcam.
Full details are available in the news release “HP Advances Mini PC for On-the-go Professionals“.
Accessories, calculators and attachments for all
• Unveiled at Macworld Expo, the new HP MediaSmart Server ex485/ex487 automatically centralizes and stores digital media files and other documents on Windows® and Mac computers. The server easily publishes photos to popular social networking sites, remotely streams photos and music to any Internet-connected PC or Mac, and centralizes iTunes music libraries for playback to any networked computer running iTunes. With the MediaSmart Server, consumers also can back up networked PCs and Macs, as well as duplicate designated folders to Amazon’s S3 online backup service for an additional layer of protection.
• New accessories including colorful mobile and desktop mice, high-performance keyboards and digital picture frames personalize the user experience. The HP Wi-Fi Display, a new 8-inch wireless smart digital picture frame, allows people to enjoy photos, music and videos from PCs on a home network as well as popular Internet sources. For those on the go, HP announced a digital picture frame keychain.
• The HP Gaming Keyboard with Voodoo DNA has backlit illumination with cluster lighting options so gamers never miss a shot. Fully programmable keys have macro capabilities, while the gaming cluster has anti-ghosting capability.
• HP’s newest calculators deliver a convenient and intuitive user experience for everyday calculations. The HP SmartCalc 300s scientific calculator’s innovative Textbook Format Display (TFD) shows full math expressions as they would appear on paper, helping students visualize and comprehend complex mathematical expressions. The colorful and compact HP EasyCalc 100 is a cinch to carry, making it ideal for basic math functions wherever people go. The elegant HP OfficeCalc 300 calculator combines common business functions such as tax and percentages with the groundbreaking “Check and Correct” function that allows edits without having to re-key entire expressions.
Photo printing application on Apple App store
• HP iPrint Photo is the first, free photo printing application of its kind(1) and allows for quick and easy wireless printing of 4 x 6-inch photos from an iPhone or iPod Touch to most HP inkjet printers connected to a local Wi-Fi network.(6) HP iPrint Photo is fully compatible with Apple’s Bonjour technology and features an intuitive Multi-Touch interface for the easiest and fastest wireless iPhone or iPod Touch print experience.(7)
• In conjunction with the introduction of HP iPrint Photo, HP also announced a special sweepstakes for CES attendees with the HP iPrint “Make Your Mark” contest seeking unique moments caught on iPhones or stored on iPod Touches. To enter, attendees must download HP iPrint Photo and visit the HP iPrint Gallery, an interactive photo installation located in the Grand Lobby/Central Concourse at the Las Vegas Convention Center, to print and display their photos in the gallery for a chance to win $1,000 and an HP Photosmart C6380 All-in-One. The contest is open to all CES attendees and exhibitors 18 years of age or older. Exhibitor badges will be scanned for entry and one winner will be selected at random.
HP Total Care
HP PCs are backed by HP Total Care, a suite of in-or-out-of-warranty service and support options. With HP Total Care, consumers can reach support agents 24/7 by phone, email or real-time chat. HP also has a variety of self-help tools built into its PCs and online services such as HP Total Care Advisor, which allows consumers to navigate through PC care, check up on health and security, get product information, view connections, and get updates from a single access point. More information is available at www.hp.com/go/totalcare.
HP Consumer Buyback and Planet Partners Recycling Program
HP today introduced its Consumer Buyback and Planet Partners Recycling Program, which offers consumers in the United States a simple way to receive cash for their unwanted technology equipment or, if there is no value, recycle it. Through the program, consumers can receive cash back for, or responsibly recycle, their unwanted PCs, monitors, printers, digital cameras, PDAs (personal digital assistants) and smartphones of any brand.