HP expanded with three models of new HP Mini 1000 line
Following the success of its education-focused mini PC introduced in April, HP today expanded the HP Mini family with three models of a new HP Mini 1000 line.
This array of minis – one of the widest offerings in the industry – addresses the needs of Internet-centric consumers, mobile professionals, always-on social media enthusiasts and fashion-forward women.
“Staying connected to your world – however you define it – is increasingly important to people on the go,” said Ted Clark, senior vice president and general manager, Notebook Global Business Unit, Personal Systems Group, HP. “That’s why HP is excited to address this new high-growth market with a portfolio of head-turning mini companion PCs that are fun and easy to use.”
These companion PCs provide a simplified Internet experience in a sleek, ultra-portable design. Each is less than 1-inch thick, weighs a little more than 2 pounds(1) and has a keyboard that is 92 percent the size of a standard notebook PC keyboard. All come with a BrightView widescreen Infinity display (1,024 x 600 resolution) with flush glass and LED backlight, built-in webcam and microphone.
Powered by Intel® Atom N270 1.6-gigahertz (GHz) processors,(2) HP Minis will be made available worldwide in an array of configure-to-order options.
Mini PCs are geared toward information “snacking” and content enjoyment, versus the rich content-creation capabilities found in fully functional notebook PCs. They are a complement to HP’s award-winning families of notebook and desktop PCs.
The three models are as follows:
• The HP Mini 1000 features a piano-black finish with HP Imprint swirl design is pre-installed with Windows® XP Home, making access to the web,(3) critical files and PC applications easily portable. It includes an Ethernet jack, two USB ports, and Wi-Fi and Bluetooth® wireless capabilities.(3) Versions with 3G capabilities(3) are expected to be available in December.
Configuration choices include screen size – 8.9-inch or 10.2-inch diagonal BrightView display – and solid-state or mechanical hard-drive options.
• The HP Mini 1000 Vivienne Tam Edition comes in vibrant red with a peony-flower inspired design that reflects the globally acclaimed fashion designer’s Spring 2009 collection. It seeks to satisfy the highly mobile, Internet-centric fashionista and features a 10.2-inch diagonal BrightView display.
Its design was first unveiled on the runway of Tam’s Fall 2009 Fashion Week show in Battery Park in New York, although many on the scene mistook it for a purse rather than the companion PC that it is. Tam labeled it the world’s first “digital clutch.”
The Vivienne Tam Edition companion PC runs Windows XP Home, making the web,(3) critical files and PC applications easily portable. It includes an Ethernet jack, two USB ports, and Wi-Fi(4) and Bluetooth wireless capabilities. Versions with 3G capabilities(3) are expected to be available in December.
• The HP Mini 1000 with MIE (Mobile Internet Experience) is a uniquely simple, mobile Internet companion.(3) An HP-developed interface makes it easy to enjoy digital content – videos, photos, music and email – on demand and on the go. MIE comes loaded with instant messaging, email and Skype for online video chat, making it easy to enjoy social-media experiences anywhere consumers are connected.
Applications enabling browsing, email and online video are pre-loaded and run from the MIE dashboard, minimizing startup time. Favorite websites that are added to the dashboard stay live, and the taskbar makes it easy to switch between programs.
The HP Mini 1000 with MIE runs the Linux operating system. It includes an Ethernet jack, two USB ports, and Wi-Fi(4) and Bluetooth wireless capabilities.
Mini accessories and service
The HP Mini Mobile Drive gives HP Mini 1000 customers 2, 4 or 8 gigabytes of additional storage, making it simple to transport and retrieve important files, photos, music and other data. It sits flush against the HP Mini, maintaining the sleek design.
An optional six-cell lithium-polymer battery is planned to be available in January.
The HP Mini 1000 and HP Mini 1000 Vivienne Tam Edition come with a free six-month subscription to HP Upline for up to three computers. HP Upline is an easy-to-use, secure online service for the storage, backup, sharing and synchronization of digital content.
Pricing(5) and availability
• The HP Mini 1000 is available today in the United States at www.hpdirect.com with a starting price of $399.
• The HP Mini 1000 Vivienne Tam Edition is expected to be available in the United States in mid-December via www.hpdirect.com and at Tam’s designer boutique in New York City. It is expected to be priced at $699.
• The HP Mini 1000 with MIE is expected to be available in the United States in January via www.hpdirect.com with a starting price of $379.
Customers can reserve an HP Mini 1000 with MIE or an HP Mini 1000 Vivienne Tam Edition by calling +1 800 230 5752 or by visiting www.hpdirect.com/mini. More information about the HP Mini 1000 portfolio is available at www.hp.com/go/mini.