HP helps customers rethink the PC with new thin computing solutions
Expanding the application of thin clients in new computing environments, HP today introduced a variety of thin computing solutions that deliver affordable, simple computing experiences for business and education, as well as integrated client virtualization solutions that extend the power of the data center to the desktop.
Extending HP’s industry-leading thin computing portfolio, the new solutions include:
* HP thin client platforms designed to optimize the end-user experience for client virtualization by delivering higher performance and remarkable ease of use.
* HP client virtualization solutions that provide a high-quality user experience and increased scalability and reliability in a secure environment at a breakthrough price.
* HP MultiSeat solution that can double computing seats without expanding IT budgets for smaller computing environments, with simple set up and low energy use.
In addition to HP MultiSeat, HP introduced specifically tailored, easy-to-manage education solutions – HP TeachNow and HP SchoolCloud – that make it easier to teach with technology while reducing overall costs.
“Businesses and educational institutions are looking for alternatives to traditional personal computing, such as client virtualization or multiseat computing, to centralize management and increase security, while reducing their total cost of ownership,” said Robert Moctezuma, vice president, Desktop Solutions Organization, Personal Systems Group, HP. “Customers recognize HP is the only provider that can design, deploy and manage complete thin computing and client virtualization solutions – from the desktop to the data center – that meet IT and user needs.”
Customers cut costs and increase efficiencies with HP
New York-based JetBlue Airways needed a way to cut long-term costs for airport-based technology and improve security. The airline installed nearly 1,400 HP thin clients, which were supported by JetBlue’s central data center and backed by 25 HP ProLiant server blades. Today, more than 12,000 JetBlue crew members use the HP thin clients at curbside check-in, ticket counters, and gate and back office locations at airports.
“In terms of maintenance and cost-effectiveness, the ‘thick client’ model simply wasn’t sustainable for us. We realized it was critical to increase efficiency and manageability to drive down costs,” said Pat Thompson, director, IT Operations, JetBlue Airways. “Our decision to deploy HP Thin Clients is expected to save nearly $5 million over five years, while improving customer satisfaction.”
Thin computing platforms deliver new levels of performance and value
* The new HP t5740 and HP t5745 Flexible Series Thin Clients deliver a superb computing experience for client virtualization deployments. The t5740 Flexible Series Thin Clients feature Intel® Atom N280 processors and an Intel GL40 chipset, enabling a power-efficient and rich PC experience delivered with the dependability of a thin client. HP Flexible Series Thin Clients can grow with a business, providing eight USB 2.0 ports and an optional PCI expansion module for easy upgrades. The HP Flexible Series also meets stringent ENERGY STAR®, EPEAT® Silver and Energy Using Products Directive (EuP) Lot 6 requirements.
* HP Flexible Series Thin Clients support rich multimedia for visual display solutions, including the new HP LD4700 47-inch Widescreen LCD Digital Signage Display. The HP LD4700 can run 24/7 in both bright and dim lighting while maintaining longevity, and can be set in either a horizontal or vertical position. In addition, with the new HP Digital Signage Display (DSD) Wall Mount, users can hang the display on a wall to showcase videos, graphics or text in a variety of commercial settings where an extra-large screen is desired.
* The HP t5325 Essential Series Thin Client is an affordable, power-efficient thin client with a new interface that simplifies setup and deployment. It offers a combination of features unique in its class and enables local web access and basic multimedia support.
* All new HP Thin Clients now include intuitive setup tools that streamline configuration and management into a short series of easy-to-follow steps. The ThinPro Setup Wizard for Linux and HP Easy Config for Microsoft Windows® help customers quickly choose the right configurations for their virtual environment in just a few clicks. In addition, HP thin clients also include on-board utilities that automate deployment of new connections, properties, low-bandwidth add-ons and image updates from one centralized repository to thousands of thin clients.
New client virtualization solutions extend the power of the data center to the desktop
HP is extending the power of its Converged Infrastructure strategy to help customers accelerate the delivery of client virtualization with solutions that combine servers, storage, software and thin clients, along with services and support.
* Three new client virtualization architectures that combine Citrix XenDesktop 4, Citrix XenApp or VMware View™ with HP ProLiant servers, storage and thin clients to provide midsize to large businesses with a range of scalable and affordable offerings that meet the performance and reliability needs of task workers and knowledge workers.
* HP ProLiant WS460c G6 Workstation Blade brings centralized, mission-critical security and reliability to workstation computing by delivering a breakthrough user experience that also allows individuals or teams to work and collaborate remotely and securely. This solution meets the performance and scalability needs for high-end visualization and handling of large model sizes demanded by enterprise segments such as engineering and oil and gas.
* HP Client Automation 7.8, part of the HP Business Service Automation software portfolio and fully supporting Windows 7, allows customers to easily deploy and migrate to a virtual desktop infrastructure environment and manage it through the entire life cycle. It manages traditional and virtual client environments – including all thin clients, virtual back-end infrastructure and traditional PCs – with a common methodology that reduces management costs and complexity. Customers also capture inventory and usage information to help size their initial virtual client deployment and reoptimize as end-user needs change over time.
* New HP Technology Services implementation, support and education offerings help organizations lower complexity and risk with new business value services that provide a reliable path to client virtualization:
o HP Transformation Experience Workshop helps customers build their strategy for virtualized solutions, identify a high-level roadmap and get executive consensus in a one-day intensive session.
o HP Business Benefit Workshop allows customers to identify, quantify and analyze the business benefits of client virtualization as well as set return-on-investment targets prior to entering the planning stage.
o Enhanced HP Solution Architecture and Pilot Service ensures the successful integration of the client virtualization solution into the customer’s infrastructure through a clear roadmap, architectural blueprint and phased implementation strategy.
* HP Enterprise Services extends the value of HP’s client virtualization solutions by hosting the customer’s applications and data in a remote data center.
* Recently announced HP business computing bundles bring end-to-end IT capabilities to small business owners. The bundles, which include HP Thin Clients, HP ProLiant tower servers and Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2, efficiently deliver Windows desktops, business applications and remote access while improving security and reducing total costs.
HP MultiSeat Solution doubles computing seats without expanding IT budgets
The HP MultiSeat Solution stretches the computing budgets of small businesses and other resource-constrained organizations by delivering up to twice the computing seats as traditional PCs for the same IT spend.
HP MultiSeat uses the excess computing capacity of a single PC to give up to 10 simultaneous users an individualized, fully supported and licensed Microsoft Windows 7 computing experience. This not only helps organizations affordably increase computing seats, but also simplifies IT management with setup simple enough for non-technical users and reduces energy consumption by as much as 80 percent per user over traditional PCs.
Pricing and availability(1)
* HP t5740 Flexible Series Thin Client starts at $429 and is currently available
* HP 5745 Flexible Series Thin Client starts at $399 and is currently available
* HP t5325 Essential Series Thin Clients starts at $199 and is expected to be available Dec. 1
* HP LD4700 47-inch Widescreen LCD Digital Signage starts at $1,799 and is currently available
* HP ProLiant WS460c G6 Blade Workstation starts at $3,044 and is currently available