Canon announces the launch of 23 new SMART digital cameras and camcorders
Canon India Pvt. Limited, India’s No 1. Complete Digital Imaging Company today announced the launch of 23 new SMART next generation digital camera and camcorder products of its camera division to further accelerate the industry’s transformation in terms of product innovation & technology. With this launch, 40 % of camera division’s product portfolio has been churned. This is the first product launch by the company in 2009. The announcement shared market insights and highlighted emerging opportunities that will structure the growth path for Canon. The launch also introduced new next generation technologies in sync with the youth trends and lifestyle of today.
Speaking on the occasion, Mr. Kensaku Konishi, President & CEO, Canon India said, “Canon has made a conscious effort to bring the best in photographic equipment to consumers across categories. We pride ourselves on our expanded portfolio of stylish and next generation digital imaging products that will help to make lifestyle a reality for more people in India. The products launched today mark a continuation of our promise of cutting edge technology for our consumers. These are stylish and technologically advanced lifestyle products.”
At the launch Canon unveiled products from Canon’s Imaging Communication Products division which included 8 Digital Compact Cameras, 10 Digital Video Camcorders, 1 Digital SLR, 1 Compact photo printer and 3 lenses.
Speaking on the occasion, Mr. Alok Bharadwaj, Senior Vice President, Canon India said, “In difficult business environment, one thing which everyone needs is fun and entertainment. We, at Canon, believe that this should not be at the cost of technology and gadgets and hence are launching products which are feature rich, technology packed, high on style quotient and most of all value for money” He further added, ” Canon EOS is the No. 1 D-SLR brand in Asia and I am pleased to share that Canon worldwide this year is celebrating the 50th Anniversary as the leading DSLR brand. Canon has sold over 53 million SLRs worldwide! And in just 6 years since the introduction of its first digital SLR, EOS has achieved exponential sales of more than 10 million Digital SLRs as photography becomes more accessible to amateurs and professionals alike. In India, we reach out to this community through our Canon Edge programme which has almost 6000 members today.”
In India, 2.5 million legitimate digital cameras have been sold till date and Canon is pleased to announce that 500,000 customers are enjoying digital photography with a Canon camera. On this occasion, Canon presented its 500,000th digital camera to Bollywood actress Neha Dhupia at the press conference. Canon India expects its camera division to grow at 30% even in the current global slowdown phase.
Canon India also launched its new ‘I can with Canon’ campaign at the conference. The new campaign rides the theme of empowerment to a Canon customer who can do more with his / her Canon. Canon products are rich with state-of-the-art features and It empowers each person to do more. Therefore “I can” with Canon! Each creative will have uniformity in design yet be different in look and feel to cater to its individual target audience.
Canon is continuously creating new features and adding functionalities based on tomorrow’s needs. The first revolutionary technology introduced today is the Smart Auto Mode, which uses Canon’s intelligent scene detection technology that automatically recognizes 18 different types of scenes including the ability to differentiate between day-time and low-light (night time) scenarios in the new IXUS 100 IS Digital Camera. We call this ‘intuitive technology’. The Smart Auto scene detection works in combination with face detection and motion detection technologies to intuitively optimize camera settings for all challenging shooting situations. This new feature ensures that when a photograph is being taken, the photographer only needs to concentrate on the photo and the camera as an ally does all the setting required intuitively.
Commenting on the pioneering technology, Mr. Bharadwaj said” Over the past couple of years, we have seen cameras with functionalities like smile detection, motion detection, face detection, multiple face detection, blink detection and many more. The unique thing which Canon is introducing this year is a Smart Auto mode which is actually an intuitive technology which integrates the appropriate and required functionalities for your photo while you only focus on enjoying the perfect moment”.
IXUS 110IS and 100IS also feature Canon’s latest Blink Detection function that helps you avoid capturing shots of your subjects with their eyes closed. A frame will be displayed on the face of the person whose eyes were closed with a ‘blink icon’ display on the top right on the LCD monitor for three seconds.
Key technological advancements include enhanced shutter lag-time response, real-time face detection and tracking. Other innovative features include Active Display ? a built-in accelerometer allows scrolling through images with simple hand movements, Servo AF keeps your focus sharp even when your subject is on the move and two new creative shooting modes, Zoom Blur which allows the user to get a blur effect even while zooming and Creative Light Effects which allows the user to change the background light into creative scene settings.
Canon also introduced PowerShot D10 its first adventure sports digital camera which is waterproof, shockproof and fogproof. It is waterproof up to 10 meters, freeze proof up to -10 degrees, shockproof when dropped from a height of 1.22 meters. We call it ‘Off Road’ photography.
Canon announces exciting additions to its High Definition camcorder range, in its new sub brand LEGRIA series - The flash memory camcorders are the 1st from Canon to offer you face detection. It is a camcorder that fuses professional-level imaging with the advantages of Dual Flash Memory. Advanced controls allow the user to capture incredibly sharp and detailed HD images. It combines lightweight, compact size and the ease and convenience of Flash Memory. The LEGRIA HV40 offers the enthusiast a high quality and versatile HDV camcorder with improved functions.
Other models launched under this umbrella include the flash-based LEGRIA HF20 / HF 200 and the flagship LEGRIA HF S10 / HF S100. HF 20 is also Canon’s smallest and lightest HD camcorder yet, and brings the ease and convenience of Flash Memory.
With the launch of the Legria series of dual flash memory camcorders, Canon is now the only company offering all formats of video camera offering including High definition, Cassette, DVD and now flash memory. Canon Digital camcorders currently contribute 10% to the camera division turnover and this new launch is expected to increase this contribution to 20% by Dec 2009. Canon launched its dual flash memory camcorders in 2008 and it is already garnered a market share of 20% in the camcorder segment in India. This market share is expected to increase to 35% by December 2009. Canon India is also planning to double the contribution from its high definition camcorders to the business and the range launched today is a step towards the same.
Canon also announced its new focus areas and strategies for the year 2009:
– Focus on SLR segment- As per latest GFK study, Canon is the No.1 D-SLR in India with a 54% market share. Canon Digital SLR segment is growing at over 100% annually. Digital SLR is no more a professional product with a large number of customers becoming passionate about photography. In 2008, Canon launched the industry’s first Pro – Community site for the consumer range of digital SLR cameras & built its Canon Edge program for the loyal members. The site has an eminent panel of photographers who provide content for the website as well as give tips and resolve queries online. The website also hosts a community for sharing practices. The website has over 6000 registered members and generates traffic of 7500 visits per month with page views of 70,000 per month. This portal also has exciting contests for its members along with special privileges like Canon exclusive workshops, training sessions etc. Canon therefore announced two contests for Digital - SLR customers at the Canon Image Lounge, one for press photographers and one for Canon Edge members. (details in separate note)
– Canon Experience showrooms- Canon had launched three Canon Image Lounges in Bangalore, Gurgaon and Mumbai respectively last year. Canon to leverage these showrooms this year and plan to conduct photography sessions and seminars extensively this year which will surely make photography more exciting in the country. Over 100,000 customers have enjoyed the Canon Lounge experience till now.
– Channel Schemes and Promotions - Canon remains committed to ensure that its partners are duly recognized and rewarded for taking the Canon technology to the masses and the enterprises. As a step towards rewarding high performance, Canon would be taking its top performing partners on the Wings of Glory in May 2009 to Hong Kong and Macao including a day on Star Cruise. For the first time, Canon is also inviting the spouses of its channel partners to join them on this trip. Canon would also be participating in all major exhibitions across the country apart from hosting more than 350 roadshows through the year.
Canon’s key strategies for 2009 will focus on enhanced product portfolio across categories. Innovative marketing coupled with faster response to the market will be the key strategies towards high growth. Canon camera division is poised for 30% growth and to enable this, Canon announced 3 new initiatives:-
– Consumer touch – For consumers, Canon is bringing its Summer travel bonanza offer called ‘Get Set Go’ offer. As per a recent study, travel season is expected to increase sales of related purchases. Canon expects the season to increase its digital camera and camcorder sales by more than 30% this travel season. Towards this, Canon is offering a Backpack cum strolly bag worth Rs 3499/ from Benetton on purchases of Canon digital camera products. Customers can also avail free 100 photo prints under ‘Get Set Go’ offer. There is no better time than now to own a Canon.
– Distribution & Retail Focus - Canon will enhance its channel structure for the digital and camcorder category which now includes over 1000 retailers across IT, photo and CE channels. The DSLR channel structure includes 20 distributors and 175 retailers.
The organised retail boom in India has also increased opportunities to create multiple touch points with the end consumer. Canon’s realizes the immense potential of retail and is expanding its penetration through various formats for its digital cameras such as 14 major retail chains operating in India with presence in 250 stores. This segment currently contributes to 15% of the revenues of the camera division.
Canon has launched a real time sales and stock status at distribution points on a daily basis to track and respond to daily sales trends. This is called Canon ‘i Track’.
– Canon also announced the launch of a photo exhibition of pictures taken by underprivileged children at the Canon Image Lounge starting today onwards.
The photographic exhibition titled ‘Our World One World’ was organized by Ship for World Youth Alumni Association-India (SWYAA-India) with children living in the slum clusters in Delhi. This one month long workshop was held with forty underprivileged children in the age group of 10-14 years in January 2009. The underprivileged children from the slums of West Delhi were trained in this workshop and had taken these photographs using Canon PowerShot digital camera to capture the stark reality of their life, surrounding, habitation, friends and family to share it with the rest of the world. This photographic workshop and exhibition is sponsored by Canon India. A total of 124 photographs are on display covering the photographic expressions of these children.