PopCap launches Bookworm(TM) for iPhone(TM) on Apple’s App Store
PopCap Games, the leading developer and publisher of casual games, today announced the launch of its hugely popular word game Bookworm(TM) for the iPhone(TM) and iPod(R) touch. The game is available now for U.S. $4.99 from Apple’s App Store on iPhone and iPod touch, or at: www.itunes.com/appstore/ Bookworm is the most popular digital word game of all time, and this new adaptation has been customized for Apple’s highly successful smart devices, and contains nearly the entire volume of words from the Oxford English Dictionary, plus a host of new features found only in this version.
“We’re thrilled to bring Bookworm to the iPhone and iPod touch because it’s a game so well suited for mobile play,” said Andrew Stein, director of mobile business development at PopCap Games. “You can play Bookworm in short bursts of a few minutes whenever and wherever you want, but it also offers great challenge for marathon word-builders with infinite replayability. What’s more, Bookworm, with its great new features like shake to scramble, is especially appealing given how effectively it takes advantage of the iPhone and iPod touch hardware to make gameplay faster and more intuitive than ever before.”
In Bookworm, players build words from contiguous letter tiles on a grid. Longer and more difficult words score more points and produce a variety of “gem tiles” that offer additional bonuses when used (and mega-bonuses when multiple gem tiles are used in a single word). Burning tiles sear through normal tiles, reaching the bottom of the grid quickly; they must be used before they reach the bottom, or the game ends.
Exclusive features in the iPhone and iPod touch version include:
* Shake to scramble letters: Simply shake your iPhone or iPod touch to re-scramble the letters.
* All new bonus bookshelf: Discover books filled with bonus words and try to complete the collection.
* Track your progress: Just turn your phone sideways for a quick, detailed view of your word history and bonus bookshelf status.
* A word collectors dream: Build your stats and show off all the best words you’ve spelled!
Classic features in the iPhone and iPod touch version include:
* Classic and Action game modes with all the gameplay of the award-winning PC version.
* Vocabulary of over 170,000 words based on the definitive English-language authority, the Oxford English Dictionary.
* Tracking of all-time highest scoring as well as longest words, enables players to compare their personal bests to friends’ all-time best words and scores.
* Unlimited levels to keep you rising up the ranks in the Hall of Fame.
Originally launched for Web and PC play in 2003, and the recipient of numerous accolades, including “Puzzle Game of the Year” and “Editor’s Choice” from top editorial critics, Bookworm has been a resounding success on traditional cell phones as well as smart phones such as Windows Mobile and BlackBerry devices since its first mobile debut in 2007. Bookworm marks PopCap’s second iPhone and iPod touch offering; Bejeweled(R) 2 for iPhone and iPod touch has been among the top-selling games since its launch in mid-2008. Additional iPhone and iPod touch adaptations of PopCap’s casual games are planned for later this year and beyond.